Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Musings & Online Class Loves

  In the few days since I made my first post on the new blog (this blog!) I have been busy, busy busy! Thursday finds me a little tired, but super motivated.  I've managed to accomplish a lot in a few days. In two days I got a bunch of errands done, went grocery shopping, spent a few hours working in the gardens, took a long walk with the dogs, managed some studio time and worked on writing course descriptions. The majority of this was done with The Big Man by my side. Actually, all of it, with the exception of studio time and working on my course descriptions, was done with Jimmy.  

 We spend an amazing amount of time together. More time than either of us has ever spent with another. But we never tire of it. The most mundane of tasks, like running errands or raking leaves, becomes something special when done together. A simple walk in the woods became a memorable experience because we both acknowledged how nice it was simply to *BE*. To talk, walk and share in the twilight's beauty. 

 I'm a huge believer in making every day sacred. Creating the sacred is so very simple. It doesn't require clergy, church, ritual or elaborate presentation. It requires mindfulness.  That's it. Simply being mindful of what you are doing, who you are doing it with and acknowledging it as special. That's how you make every day sacred. How do YOU create the sacred in your life? I'd really love to know.

 The past few months I've been enrolled in a few different Online Classes. There are so many classes, so many artists, to choose from it can be overwhelming. It can also be hard to choose which offerings will suit you best.  For me, the course description and/or the artist offering the course have to resonate within me. I get a certain feeling when I know a class or an artist is offering something that I need in my life or need to learn. If I don't feel excited, jazzed up or find myself thinking about a certain class over and over until I sign up, I pass. This year, so far, these are the classes I had to do. either for the techniques offered or the over all content, I knew these online offerings would rock my peanut butter cups completely! 

1) Book of Days-Premium with Effy Wild: I cannot say enough about Book of Days. It's more than an art journal class. It's more than a technique based course. It's a spiritual, art based, super fun and totally in-depth way of memory keeping & digging deep within. It's also a fabulous community of creative women who aren't afraid to show their shadow sides, show off their personal journal pages and show  support for one another with glitter bombs and encouraging words. Yes, it IS all that. And more. It's also very affordable! At the nucleus of the Glitter Hood Art Tribe is Effy Wild. Definitely check her blog out and her class offerings.  




2) Letter Love 101 with Joanne Sharpe: I love using my own handwriting in my journals and mixed-media paintings. But I really wanted to take my writing to the next level, make it totally unique, funky and as awesome as possible. Letter Love 101 was definitely the answer.  Lots of video lessons, colorful examples and inspiration can be found in this class with Joanne Sharpe. The price is very affordable too. Win-Win!




3) I doodle, do you? with Sandi Tygar: I love to doodle. It's fun, relaxing and so creatively expressive. Sandi takes doodling to a whole new level. This mini class is so affordable (only $10 US) and such fun it's a must do for sure! LOVE it!

4) Sweetlings Mini with Effy Wild: Another class with Effy, but totally different from Book of Days (BOD). Sweetlings focus is upon creating adorable, sweet mixed-media girls. April is the first month for Sweetlings, but they will be offered monthly from now until.... Who knows? Very affordable,these  step by step technique based videos show how to create your own Sweetlings Doll. 

 Newsletter: I decided to use Mail-Chimp for my newsletter sign up service. It seems easy-peasey to use for sending out weekly missives. I've added a sign up box on the top, right hand side of the blog & will be sending out my first newsletter next week! 

That's all for now. Off to work on my Sweetlings for April.

Much love and creative energy to you all-

Kristin

 

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by!